August 17, 2006

MORNING BLUES....

I spent 15 minutes Ironing a shirt last night. This morning I woke up to see all the creases back at the exact same places I had pressed them off. Incase your wondering, No!! there wasn’t even the slightest trace of blood in my alcohol stream!! It’s a new new shirt, first wash. Maybe its just me. Its not the first time. Happens to a lotta my shirts n trousers alike.

So I Ironed it over again, 15 minutes of my lazy morning robbed by a stubborn shirt that wont stay crisp. finally there I was, a neatly pressed shirt ready to leave, I get into the elevator and one look in the elevator mirror and presto, same creases, same place! Damn this ‘Massimo Dutti’ I grumble.

Just then this very cute little Arab girl enters the lift, looks at me and with a bright face…

“Hey there, good morning”… Im standing there in the corner stunned with admiration for this little girl who’s probably not a day older then 8 yrs.

I couldn’t help replying with a.. oh you cute thing “Good Morning”.

“so where you off to early this morning” I ask her.

“to the park, I got my friends waiting downstairs,.. where you going to?”

“Me??? im off to work li’l girl, can I join you at the park, Id love to pl..”

“did you call me a Li’l girl??” she cut me mid sentence.

“I’m not Li’l, tsk tsk”

O Oh I thought...There I am looking down at this cute little thing who hardly even reaches knee high, giving me the most disgusted look anyone could ask for at 7:00 in the morning.

“I’m sorry” I mumbled. She didn’t look at my face. The whole thing seemed so amusing, and just to annoy her a little more I start singing.. “Baby, baby don’t cry !!”

It really seemed to work cos now she was furious.. the little baby girl !!

“Im telling my mommy about you” she grumbled. I couldn’t help smile cos she had the cutest angry look on her face. Her fair cheeks were now red with baby fury. It was the most amusing morning I had in a long long time. The moment the elevator door opened I let her walk before me. She ran to her friends turned once and gave me the “I hate you stoopid guy” look. All the while im smiling and that seemed to annoy her all the more.

As I drove by, I saw them laughing & playing in the park. It is moments like these when I realise that how life has gone by so quick, Its so so much nicer to be kids. You got your parents around you.. cooking for you, looking after you. sometimes I wonder why is it that I have to live so far away all by myself. Oh yeah career’s sake. But for those of you who are with their parents , dont let the moment go unrespected and unrelished. Maybe its only when we move apart that we realise the value of being together. Life is not about a few big moments , but a million small ones.

Mom called just as I was thinking about how at my suddenly advanced age I would never know when my heart would come to a sputtering stop. After I determined that my heart was (for the moment) still beating, I cheered at the thought that I hadn’t yet reached the point where I had more body parts on the night table beside the bed, (false teeth, hearing aid, eye glasses etc.) instead of attached to their appropriate places (however tentatively) on me. So far I was good to go. I looked at my cellphone and asked my Mom

“I’ve passed my prime mom, I’ve grown old”

“Nonsense - you never had any prime years to be past.”She replied

I feel so much older today. Somebody stop the world, life's flown by too fast.

8 comments:

Parul said...

i agree...
smeone stop the time...
actually,do a rewind!
its good to be inncocent n stupidly young...
as yrs advance, the illusion fades and thre u r face to face wid d world as it is...as u never thought it to b...
get me back to the world i loved!

very well written...
take care :)

irremisible_imposter said...

well written!!:)

irremisible_imposter said...

well..actually i can relate to this post quite well..i'have been living on my own for 6years now,u c..:)

n whenevr i get an opportunity i try convincing people not 2 go on to stay alone at a very tender age..n it's not that am homesick or wateva..coz it's,honestly, difficult.

there are those 'minutest' of things,in day 2 day life, vich must have never crossed ur mind ven u used to put up wid ur parents dat require attention now.

irremisible_imposter said...

take care,bro!!:)

Cuckud said...

"Life is not about a few big moments , but a million small ones".

Absolutely loved diz part....
really nice post....cheers...
:)

Anonymous said...

how true....

Ms. V. said...

I remember sighing to my mother (who is on-again, off-again in the support department) about the fact that I'm such a late bloomer. Her response was priceless. "At least you bloom."

Yes, I do. I bloom, indeed.

(And I'm only five years older than Shahrukh Khan, so I'm not that old!)

KD13 said...

Growing older is scary. Depending on urself is scary. Having others depending on you is even scarier.

But atleast you're free!

No more blind obedience. You make ur own choices based on the situation. I've always hated being 'controlled' by authority figures.

In my opinion the worst situation to be in is dependence. N children are always dependent.