September 02, 2006

THE END OF SUMMER.

I remember that day clearly. The day Summer and I broke up for good. As I sat on the bed in my room, I popped a kind of something in order to get me through the morning without feeling sad. it was all coming to an end and I had to go back to class again.

I knew it was time. Time to say goodbye. But Summer and I had so much history between the two of us; it made it near impossible to sum it all up in one sitting. I didn’t want to admit it and neither did Summer, but it had been over for a while now. Work had gotten in the way. As it always does. As it always will.

But it wasn’t always that way…

See, when you’re a kid, the equivalent to great sex is not having to go to school. That was Summer. My first orgasms, and they lasted for two months. No homework. No getting beaten up on the bus. No nasty math teachers. It was just us. Summer and I. And each year, somewhere in between Picnics and Summer camps, the family would pack their bags for our annual summer vacation.

Early on, during the honeymoon phase of our relationship, summer vacations rocked. And then I made a new best friend. A friend that would, in fact, change my relationship with Summer forever. Lets call that friend ‘grown-up’.

grown-up’ was the exact opposite of me. He was from a bad neighborhood, he had a deep voice, a beard and thought about sex constantly. ‘Grown-up’ and I began to get along pretty well. We enjoyed each other’s company. Had a lot of the same interests. And after a few months, I figured it was finally time for me to introduce ‘grown-up’ to Summer.

That’s when it all went downhill. grown-up then brought me on to his friends.. work and responsibility. I began to spend time with work and slowly responsibility showed more of himself. There was no time for anything else. Summer came and went by a couple of times, I hardly even noticed summers presence. Then grown-up bought love into my life. Love, work and responsibility became everything for me. Then love and work began having problems but there was always more of responsibility no matter what. Finally things grew bad for work, he didn’t like me spending too much time with love and so decided to take me far away from love.

Now I spend my entire day with work and responsibility. But deep down I miss summer. I want all we had back. Many a times before I go to bed I think of the great times I had with summer and it makes me sad. I repent for having let ‘grown-up’ come into my life.

I still live with the hope that someday, in some corner of the world.. summer and I can catch up on everything we once shared in the good old days of my Life.


1 comment:

Parul said...

Hey this is awesome!
very beautifully expressed...
and very apt too...
i miss the summers...
nobody inventing a time m/c?!!
Sigh... :(