June 27, 2006

The guy reaches into a paper bag and pulls out a box of chocolates.

SCENE 1
Guy ( handing over the box to the girl ) – Hey, I got these for you, I guess you like chocolates.

Girl – Thank you ! I love them. *Girl thinks – WOW , it would be fun eating all of these chocolates, Fuck Calorie consciousness*

SCENE 2
Guy ( handing over the box to the girl ) – Hey, I got these for you, I guess you like chocolates.

Girl – Thank you ! I love them. *Girl thinks – OMG, again gifts from him, but over the last three weeks, he’s been a little cold. Since the time that new girl has moved in next door, he has’nt been his normal self. See, even the chocolates gifted aren’t Swiss. maybe he hates me, now that I’ve put on weight . Hell, I’m so scared and anxious now, besides these chocolates are beginning to taste like antiseptic soap.

Nah , my brain’s not having one of it’s “go wild with imagination” exercises today , one of these scenarios happened to me today , and it was it was SCENE 1, I humbly suggest she start off on an intercontinental jog tomorrow morning for all those calorie infested chocolates she relished without offering me any.

And it makes me appreciate how much more delightful a simple guy-gal friendship is, rather than a “coochie coochie” relationship.

The “expectations/possession” that creeps when a girl is your girlfriend and not just a friend is one wierd issue , atleast with a ‘Care-a-damn’ types like me. I gifted her chocolates because she is a friend , and I wanted her to have fun gobbling them up , and that is that. And this kind of relation is so simple , natural and free of muddled feelings and assumed expectations.

But the moment a ‘proposal and acceptance’ takes place between a guy and a girl , things are transformed. Suddenly the girl, who was a friend till yesterday is a girlfriend . Till last month , M and J were good friends . M called J his friend. Then M proposed and J accepted. Now M calls J “My girl”. I mean, hehehe “My girl?”

Then if J decides to go out on a lunch with her childhood friend G, M narrows his eyes and asks her “what up girl, something going on???” and threatens her with dire consequences if the answer is in the affirmative.

If M does not send J a bunch of fresh roses on the anniversary of the day they first met, J calls him up in the evening , says Hello , then coughs , sobs and breaks into a long wail which ends in “You are not the same , M” or something to that effect followed by a violent slamming down of the phone.

And God forbid , if J goes out to shop and spots M driving around with a pretty girl, she will throw dangerously heavy things at M till he shows her the birth certificate of that girl to prove that it was his sister he was going to drop at her friends place.

Considering my state of existence , I don’t think I will have too much experience in this. But from what I know, a simple friendship is a very direct and delightful relationship to have . Maybe all these complications between M and J would not happen if it wasn’t for love, and they would still trust each other come what may.

But I guess feelings grow naturally. A true feeling needs no promise , and no promise can make an untrue feelings survive , so why promise and build expectations and lead to unfulfilled ones ? Ok I accept I’ve caused hurt and I wish I would not have caused so much hurt to people . To make a promise and then break it comes naturally to me . "I will call you" , " I will send over a gift" , "I will take your dog for a walk" , I keep saying things only to discover I’m with the PS2 when I should be doing these things . I really have disappointed a lot of people , with rather violent repercussions . I promise I will get a 'Highly unreliable' tattoo one of these days , so that people know .Maybe I am just too immature to handle all the responsibility and promises a commitment demands . But in my opinion , one can be more easy , be a lot more frank , and a lot more natural with a girl who is just happy to see a box of chocolates instead of getting worried over some new girl who just moved in next door.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glenn I don't know u (this may be a bit presumptious) but if i were to form an opinion of u from your blog I'd have to say that I think you've got the right attitude to life.

Some guys are made for responsibilities n commitment etc. U clearly are not!

Stay single!

:)

glenn said...

As long as you know its presumptious !!

Anonymous said...

Ooops :(

I'm sorry if I offended you.

I actually agree with many of the things you say.

Peace!