June 07, 2006

NURSERY RHYMES

Woke up this morning and flipped through my Music files for some nice early morning music.. those late night .. (is 2:00 am late night or early morn) …neighbourly love songs surprisingly didn’t happen. Anyway came across a collection of Mp3 Nursery Rhymes. Thought it was best to listen to them early morning, I love Nursery Rhymes. Yet, when I was a kid I always thought they were a big fat lie.

Perhaps, I matured too early or perhaps I was just incorrigible. Either ways I was not what other kids my age were. They all enjoyed nursery rhymes.

I realized I was different when I blushed when my teacher said these lines –

“Jack and Jill went up the hill.”

My shyness gave way to anger when she lied in the next line –

“To fetch a pail of water.”

“Yeah right!”, was all I could say. But I looked around and the whole class was enjoying the rhyme in the belief that Jack and Jill actually went up the hill only to fetch a pail of water. I was the only one who knew a lot of other things happened up there.

And then they sang –

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,
All the king's horses and all the king's men,
Couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

I could never comprehend this rhyme. What was the logic? I mean some fat old hunk called Humpty Dumpty (or were they two people - Dumpty was the twin brother of Humpty?) sat on a wall and had a fall. Why should the King’s men worry about it? Or his horses, for that matter. I am yet to understand why we were asked to sing this rhyme.

I listened to a lot of rhymes this morning. My folks would have been ashamed of me had they walked in on me. They think I’m taking life not too seriously, but a lot of serious things have been going wrong for me. so its kinda ok !! Do you still think that it was just for the pail of water ??

1 comment:

Parul said...

i'm sure,u musta heard this version...

Jack n Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
I wonder what they did up there,
But they came down with a daughter!